What Size Torx Bit for Jeep Wrangler Doors? [Full Guideline]
The main attraction of the Jeep Wrangler is its removable doors. Many Jeep users want to remove the doors but don’t know the required Torx bit size for this.
So, what size torx bit for jeep wrangler doors?
The Jeep Wranglers require a T40 Torx bit for its doors. The dimension of the T40 Torx bit should be M7 – M8 and the size 0.26mm. With this Torx bit, you can adjust and remove the Jeep Wrangler’s doors and hardtop. Always try to get the right-size Torx bit. Using mismatching Torx bits may invite other issues.
This is only the highlight of the entire article. Start reading to get the details.
What Size Torx Bit Do You Need for the Jeep Wrangler Doors?
There have been 12 versions of the Jeep Wrangler from 2007-2018. All of the Jeeps require a T40 Torx bit to remove the door.
I’ve provided a chart below that states the year, model, required Torx bit sizes, and dimensions-
|Jeep Wrangler year||Jeep Wrangler model||Torx bit||Diameter & Size|
|2007||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2008||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2009||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2010||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2011||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2012||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2013||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2014||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2015||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2016||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2017||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
|2018||Rubicon, Unlimited||T40||M7 – M8, 0.26 mm|
Each Jeep model comes with a 2 letter abbreviation. All the Jeep Wranglers models are expressed with JK, JL, and JT. You can even find Jeep vehicles abbreviated with YJ, TJ, and CJ.
Can You Use Mismatching Torx Bits for Jeep Wrangler Doors?
There might be situations where you cannot find the perfect-sized Torx bit for your Jeep Wrangler. So, you may be tempted to use a different-sized bit from a Torx bit set.
Well, if you use a slightly smaller Torx bit than required, it can work. It will require a lot more strength and torque to rotate it. However, the Torx bit might get damaged because it won’t fit well.
On the other hand, using a bigger Torx bit than required isn’t possible. It won’t fit at all. Additionally, you might end up damaging the Torx screw on the Wrangler’s door. Later on, you’ll face difficulties removing the stripped Torx screw.
Now that you know about the Torx bit size, you must be intrigued about using it. Keep reading to find out!
How to Remove Jeep Wrangler Doors
The tools you will be needing to remove the doors on your Jeep Wrangler-
- A ratchet
- T40 Torx bit
- Utility gloves
Once you’ve acquired the tools, you can begin the door removal process. Here are the steps to removing the Jeep Wrangler doors-
- Start by putting the utility gloves on. Then, roll down the windows and remove the door check arm.
- After that, free the limit strap on the Jeep and remove the wiring harness. Be careful while removing the wiring harness. Incorrect removal of the harness may result in a disabled remote start of the Jeep.
The front and rear doors consist of different wiring harnesses. The front ones have an extra flip-up connector. Flip down the white connector and then remove the harness.
- Afterwards, start unscrewing the Torx screws using the ratchet and the T40 Torx bit. Apply a good amount of pressure to get the screw moving. After that, keep applying moderate pressure.
When the screws come off, store the screws for the future. If you want to re-attach the doors, they’ll come in handy!
- Finally, take off the door by lifting it off the hinges. You can remove 2 or 4 doors, it depends entirely on you. The doors are pretty heavy so be careful when carrying them.
Remember to follow the steps in sequence. If you remove the Jeep Wrangler’s doors improperly, errors might occur. For instance, an ignition or accessories error may pop up.
Also, don’t forget to install door-off mirrors after removing the doors. You need the mirrors to drive legally and properly!
Along with the doors, If you’re interested you can remove the hardtop as well. That will provide a new look and dimension to the Jeep Wrangler.
Watch this video for the full hardtop removal guideline of the Jeep Wrangler-
Pros and Cons of Removing Jeep Wrangler Doors
If you’re fixated on removing your Jeep Wrangler doors, wait a bit. There are some obvious pros and cons to this. Reading this part will help you make a solid decision.
Pros of Removing Jeep Wrangler Doors:
- The Jeep Wrangler will lose some weight. The front doors on a Wrangler weigh 70 lbs and the back doors weigh 45 lbs.
- The Jeep’s fuel efficiency will increase. Lighter vehicles have more efficiency as they can speed up faster and require less power.
- The Wrangler will be equipped with a new look and dimension. Without the doors, you can enjoy a door-free driving experience!
Cons of Removing Jeep Wrangler Doors:
- Security may be compromised. Since the entrance is open, anyone can get in the car. To increase security, you can try installing a car alarm and anti-theft locks.
- The Jeep will be prone to weather conditions. With open doors/hardtops, water, and particles can enter the car easily. Equip the seats with a waterproof seat cover to be tension free.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Do all Jeep Wrangler doors come off?
Yes, all Jeep Wrangler doors come off. This feature has been added by Jeep because many people enjoy the drive without doors. With the right-sized tools, you can remove any door of any Jeep Wrangler model.
Is it safe to leave the Jeep with Its doors off?
Yes, the Jeep is safe to leave with its doors removed. The vehicles designed by Jeep are manufactured this way. Yet, taking precautions is always the best approach to this situation.
Can you remove a Jeep hardtop by yourself?
Although it’s not recommended, It’s possible to remove a Jeep hardtop by yourself. Removing the Jeep hardtop usually requires 2 persons and the correct pieces of equipment. If you’re attempting the removal by yourself, make sure you don’t injure yourself. It’s also important not to damage the Jeep hardtop.
The Final Words
You’ve reached the end of this article. Hopefully, now you know what size torx bit for jeep wrangler doors is needed.
If you’re lacking confidence or you’re confused about anything, don’t worry. Take your Jeep Wrangler to your nearest mechanic shop and have them remove the doors!
Best of luck.