You live in a city, and you need a car’s suspension that can automatically respond to the various conditions of the road, such as bumps, potholes, and other road challenges. Then you need to buy a car with an adaptive variable suspension system.
The adaptive suspension system works for you as they have various sensors that detect these bumps and potholes and change the configuration of the shocks and springs of the suspension system to provide a better and smooth ride.
Table of Contents
- What Does Adaptive Variable Suspension Do?
- Advantages Of Adaptive Variable Suspension
- How Does Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension Work?
- Is Adaptive Damping Suspension Worth It?
- What Vehicles Have Adaptive Suspension?
What Does Adaptive Variable Suspension Do?
An adaptive variable suspension is an advanced form of suspension system where it is equipped with sensors and microprocessors. The sensors and microprocessors continuously scan the road in real-time, and the suspension system reacts accordingly to the challenges that come on the road.
It allows the car to maintain a good level of ride comfort and handling. In some systems, it is possible to adjust the flexibility of the suspension system according to the road surface, driver’s preference, and traffic conditions.
Cars designed with adaptive variable suspension show significantly better handling than cars with conventional suspension systems. And in some cases, they can be very similar to on-track cars.
There are two types of advanced suspensions in cars: Dynamic Suspensions Spacing (DSS) and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). DSS automatically changes the distance between the wheels to suit the driving conditions under which the car operates.
AVS system offers even better performance than DSS systems due to its variable damping system, which allows setting precisely the right stiffness for given road conditions. In addition, the system continuously adapts while driving on different road surfaces and cornering.
Advantages Of Adaptive Variable Suspension
It is sometimes called “active suspension.”Adaptive variable suspension can also be used in basic form as an upgrade on a standard car with electronic parts installed in different places in the car –such as active steering, active differential, etc.
Adaptive variable suspension is an excellent alternative for a standard vehicle with conventional suspension.
It is no secret that the adaptive suspension system is quite popular among these as they have many advantages over conventional suspension system. It has many benefits too:
- Additional control: One of the main benefits of the adaptive suspension system is the comfort and other control it provides to your car. Another benefit of the adaptive suspension system is its excellent grip and traction on different road surfaces. Furthermore, it has various modes, such as sport, comfort, etc., providing different ride quality types.
- Better adaptation: It provides better adaptation to various road conditions. The system combines multiple information on vehicles and roads to decide the best settings for optimum performance.
- Nobody movements allowed: The suspension is always in the same position on the road, so you don’t have to wonder if your body has shifted or not. As a result, you are well-centered and can concentrate on driving.
- Enhanced safety: Helps to reduce the risk of road accidents. Without active systems, drivers can’t feel their car is “under steering .”With it, they can adjust the steering wheel’s angle to reduce the impact of cornering forces on the body. Control systems are small and well hidden. They do not require a large amount of space or power to function.
Adaptive variable suspension installations are very reliable and do not require much maintenance. This system will be very stable with minor changes in road conditions and will not get stuck as some active systems do.
How Does Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension Work?
All the next-generation Lexus cars come with adaptive suspension, so you will now have a more comfortable ride around every corner. The Lexus adaptive variable suspension system works with sensors sending the real-time data of the road to the car’s computer, and the car’s computer monitors all the data and adjusts the dampers according to it.
This gives more control over the car around every bumpy corner. In addition, the adaptive suspension monitors all from G force and yaw rate to vehicle speed and other input from the driver to make the ride in all conditions smooth and fast.
The main aim of this system is to create a cushioned ride for drivers and passengers in all conditions.
The sensors are placed in various places around the car that monitors multiple parameters. These parameters help the system make accurate adjustments, ensuring that passengers inside have a smooth and comfortable ride.
Is Adaptive Damping Suspension Worth It?
It is no doubt that adaptive damping systems are expensive which is why many people remain in doubt about whether this upgrade is worth it or not. However, the answer is yes; seeing the advantages they provide to ride quality and a consistently smoother ride, an adaptive damping system is worth it.
The adaptive system takes a split second to adjust the dampers according to the road condition, which helps better handle the car. The dampers can adjust themselves from a soft one to stiffer in less than a millisecond.
The adaptive damping suspension uses the data received from the sensors to continuously adjust the damper valves to change the specification of the shock absorbers and springs quickly.
By this, the heavy potholes or bumps in the road are easily absorbed and eliminate swaying effects on the car.
Regardless of how strong or sharp the bump is on the road, it is almost always absorbed instantly by this system. This also reduces excessive movement at road transitions and cornering without losing control or body roll.
The stiffer dampers that adaptive suspension produces a more crisp yet stable ride. This makes riding a lot more comfortable and much quieter too. It also helps improve handling and cornering, making it worth every penny to have one fitted on your car.
What Vehicles Have Adaptive Suspension?
An adaptive suspension system is an active safety feature that helps improve driving and vehicle performance. Many car brands provide this feature in most models, while some offer it in high-end models or SUVs.
But you will find adaptive suspension systems in almost all today’s car manufacturers, from Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, and Renault to Audi, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc.